3 Quick Ways to Start Your Day with Greens
Almost everyone knows which foods you should be eating more of and which foods you should be avoiding. I don't need to tell you to eat more vegetables - you all know that already. But sometimes we all need help figuring out how to eat more vegetables.
So this morning I'm sharing one of my favorite ways to get more greens into my diet and my top tips for keeping things delicious and simple.
Smoothies are amazing because you can basically hide your greens in there and not even know you're eating/drinking them. Don't believe me? You're doing it wrong.
Here's what you need to know:
1. Blend the greens before adding your fruit. Put a handful or two of greens (start with a little bit of harmless ol' spinach if you're nervous) in your blender with 1/2 cup to 1 cup of liquid depending on how thick you like your smoothies. Blend this up before you add your other ingredients. This helps to ensure that your greens are really chopped up and there are no chunks hiding around.
This is especially important if you are using a cheap, older blender. No one likes chunky spinach in their fruit smoothie. Or maybe you do... in that case, ignore this tip.
2. Freeze your fruit. If you use frozen fruit, you don't need to use as much ice, or even any ice at all. This keeps things nice and tasty and doesn't dilute the flavor of your fruit down with all that water.
3. Can't have dairy, but like your smoothies to be creamy? Use a frozen banana. Bananas are magical and basically turn into ice cream when you freeze them. (Google it.) I love that milkshake consistency in my smoothies and bananas are what do that for you. Healthy milkshakes Yes, please!
Another awesome thing about smoothies is that they are so customizable, you can use whatever greens and fruits you have and choose the flavors you like to make a drink you love. But if you're like me and need a recipe to start you off, here are two super easy ones to try.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie ~1-2 handfuls of greens (if you're nervous start small and slowly increase the amount you add) ~1/2 C - 1 C liquid (adjust to desired consistency) - you can use milk, coconut milk, water... whatever floats your boat, just maybe not soda) ~1 frozen banana ~5-6 frozen strawberries splash of vanilla extract (optional)
1. Blend greens and liquid. 2. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend again! 3. So quick and easy, right?
Almond Butter Cacao Smoothie ~1-2 handfuls of greens (Don't be afraid to change it up! Try kale or collard greens or a blend!) ~1/2 C - 1 C liquid ~1 frozen banana ~1 T cacao powder (where I buy mine)* ~1 T almond butter ~2 T coconut oil
1. Blend greens and liquid. 2. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend again!
* Bonus tip: This is also a really great way to add in some other super foods like coconut oil and chia seeds. Just add a tablespoon or two to the blender and you're all set. :)
Sounds yummy, right? Go try one! Or try both! Once you've made a couple you can experiment with different greens and fruits. Add an avocado for an extra creamy smoothie. Try a drop of high quality ginger essential oil or some citrus rind. Go crazy! :)
Want more tips like this? Sign up for my newsletter so you don't miss out!